Sunday 12 August 2007

total

We purchased a meal at IKEA today that was $1.99 so I had my two singles (one dollar notes) ready. We grabbed a glass for water so we told her the cashier (girl at the till) that it was just for water. She rang it up and smiling said "$2.20." I thought she charged us for a drink, but wait, that's only 21 pence, I mean cents. I reminded her that we were just getting water. She said, "I know" and repeated the total. We were both puzzled for a bit and thought they were charging for tap water.

Then it dawned on me...TAX! We have lived in the land of VAT tax included in the price (a whopping 17.5%!!) so it was easy to know exactly what you were going to pay and have your money ready. Here the prices do not include tax. So if you are not great at maths, and if you are not sure what the tax rate is for the particular state you are visiting (I think Chicago's went up while we were away), then you have to just guess and wait for your final total.

No comments: