Saturday 11 August 2007

Healthy eating...it costs!

I have had a hard time finding things like quinoa, TVP (still haven't found that!), grapeseed oil, and other 'health food' type things I commonly used in Scotland. When I did find some of these things I nearly fell over at the cost! As expensive as it was to live in Edinburgh, I was very pleased that it did not cost an arm and a leg to eat healthier foods. It was not a big expense to replace couscous with quinoa. Grapeseed oil wasn't any more expensive than olive oil (and olive oil wasn't as dear as it is here).

I walked into the one an only health food store in about a 20 mile radius that I could find and walked back out in disappointment. It was expensive and the pickins were pretty slim. As Josh said, "Nearly half this store is in capsule form." :)

I still haven't been able to find any reasonably priced 'earth friendly' products like washing up liquid (dish soap), cleaning products, or detergent (except one at Meijer). And I am really sad that I can find any witchazel stuff for my face. But it was fun to find Boots products at Target!

So if anyone knows of anyplace online that I can get these things, fill me in! I was pretty spoilt with my online grocery shopping, too.

I suppose I should find it humorous that what I missed while in the UK was junkfood and now what I miss is healthfood. :)

6 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Have you checked out WiseWay yet? I get all those products there- our WiseWay sells Seventh Generation & Method products, too (so does Target)- I can't remember where you are staying, so I am not sure how close you are to a WiseWay! I hear that Meijer also has a nice natural foods selection, but haven't been.

Hope you find something soon!

Steph

ErinOrtlund said...

Haha! So true!

Are you in a pretty small town? That could be part of the problem. If you could find a store that sells quinoa, etc. in bulk bins, that would probably be cheaper.

Anita Marie said...

I'm so glad you started this blog. It will be interesting to hear about your experiences as you readjust.

Abigail B. said...

More tips from the other forum I go to: Wild Oats in Evanston, or Hinsdale - if either is convenient.

I found Quinoa at Trader Joe's recently, a box .. hm.. the same size box I get couscous in, not small but not big for about $3. Don't know if it's a good price. It might be worth a "stock up" trip to TJ's to get lots of stuff :)

Josh and Deliverance said...

It is a bit of a drive to the nearest Wise Way. Meijer is probably closer. I have only been there once since we moved back, and it was before I knew I needed to search for these things.

It is a small town, but I am even having trouble in the larger town we are near. I haven't found anyone selling anything in bulk. I am longing for a trip to Whole Foods sometime to see what I can find in bulk.

I did find Quinoa, but it seemed so pricey and I go through so much of it. Maybe they will have it in bulk at Whole Foods?

Anonymous said...

Trader Joe's also has a box of yummy roasted red bell pepper tomato soup. If you go there get me some, or I'll go with you. mom f