Monday 3 September 2007

Labor Day



We Americans need a reason to have a government holiday. It can't just be called "Bank Holiday" and just take a day off just for the heck of it like other countries do. ;)

Today is Labor Day. When I was young I thought it meant you had to labor. Maybe harder than normal? Then when I realised that businesses were closed on Labor Day I thought that maybe you had to labor in your garden (lawn) or something.

But no. Labor Day is a day we take off (except retail, of course, because they need to handle the huge sales) to go to a parade, get together with friends and family, barbecue, and take a nap. There's also the laboring in the garden bit for some.

The Lowell Labor Day parade is the largest in the state for a town under 50,000. And I will vouch for it's length. It took over 2 hours! In that hot sun! No trees!

But lots of candy!!!
I forgot to mention that they throw candy at the crowd.



The pipers came out just for us! And they even played the Scottish anthem!





More on Flickr

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my childhood, the new school year began shortly after Labor Day so I thought it meant we had to start laboring after the 2 1/2 month vacation time. This gave me a sick feeling, but buying new school clothes helped the transition. Here is a simple explanation of Labor Day, and what it has become. mom f
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day